Mushroom, Spinach and Quinoa Stuffed Roasted Capsicums
Capsicums stuffed with mushrooms, carrots, spinach, quinoa and cashews. Choose a combination of sweet red, orange and yellow capsicum (bell peppers) as they taste better and look glamorous.
Serves 4 large capsicums 1 hour 30 mins totalIngredients 1 tablespoon olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
7 brown mushrooms, sliced
1 cup chopped carrots
6 capsicums (tops sliced off in one piece, cored and seeded)
1/2 cup chopped parsley
Handful of spinach, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup roasted raw cashews
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
2. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until transparent, 5-7 minutes.
3. Add mushrooms, cooking for 4 to 5 minutes more.
4. In go the carrots until just softened, then the parsley and spinach (in batches, if needed).
5. Let spinach wilt then stir in cinnamon, cumin and quinoa. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper to taste.
6. Finally add the roasted cashews and cook 1 to 2 minutes more.
7. Allow the filling to cool.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Enjoy a cuppa tea for a minute.
Divide quinoa mixture evenly among remaining 6 bell peppers. Using a tablespoon, gently fill the hollowed capsicums with the mixture, packing it down so you can cram in maximum goodness into each one. Top each pepper with its reserved top then arrange them upright in a dish. Cover snugly with foil and bake, checking halfway through, until capsicums are tender and juicy and filling is hot throughout, roughly an hour. Transfer to plates and serve warm. If packed correctly these stuffed capsicums travel well and taste good hot or cold in a lunchbox.
Nutrition (a general guide):
Per serving: 250 calories (90 from fat), 10g total fat, 1.5g saturated fat, NO cholesterol, 280mg sodium, 36g total carbohydrate (7g dietary fiber, 6g sugar), 9g protein