Job Ad Type:
Dong A University (Busan) Seeking Full-Time Assistant Professor in the College of General Education (English)
Dong A University is looking to appoint four Assistant Professors to the English faculty in the College of General Education for the beginning March 2023 semester. The department is mainly responsible for teaching core, credited courses in English Conversation with an emphasis on Global Culture and Language. The focus of these courses is not only to improve the student’s fluency in speaking English, but also to prepare them to survive everyday life while living or travelling abroad. Professors will be tasked with implementing creative and dynamic teaching methods in order to imbue their lessons with the essentials needed for students to thrive in all English speaking environments.
The students at Dong A University are generally non-English majors and thus come from a variety of English learning backgrounds. Therefore, our classes primarily focus on English communication and expression in the classroom in order to maximize peer to peer and student to teacher interaction. Although there is a textbook and a pre-determined curriculum, Professors will be given lots of leniency in lesson design and methodology and thus will be leaned upon to determine the specific language and philosophical focus of their courses. Speaking is the primary goal of the course, but professors are also encouraged to include short listening, reading and writing exercises in order to complement their lesson plans.
The teaching year is broken up into two, 15-week semesters. Professors will be required to teach a minimum of 12 hours per week (with the potential of some overtime hours during the regular semester) and to create their own midterm and final examinations. There are extra paid opportunities during the normal semester hours and Winter/Summer breaks. However, these are optional and do not directly impact contract renewal. The contract lasts 2 years and renewal will be dependent on evaluations at the end of the teaching period. If eligible at the end of the 4 semesters, the professor will be able to renew their contract for 2-year periods thereafter.
- Full-Time Position.
- Working Period: March 1st 2023 ~ February 28th 2025.
- Annual Salary: 30 000 000krw or higher depending on overtime/extra opportunities.
- Personal Benefits: National Health Insurance and Private Pension.
- Vacation Period: 10 weeks paid vacation in the Summer and Winter breaks as well as National Holidays. 20+ weeks in total.
- Housing Allowance: Housing in the school dormitory is possible. If the professor desires their own housing, 350 000krw will be added to the monthly salary as a housing allowance.
- Native Speaker of English.
- Must be in living Korea and have either an E-2 or F-series visa.
- Master’s Degree or higher. English related Majors are preferred.
- Candidates with at least 2 years teaching experience at the University level will be given priority.
- Resume (Please fill out document provided).
- A 500-word statement of their teaching philosophy.
- Photocopy or Digital Copy of their University Transcripts.
- Photocopy of their Undergraduate and Graduate Diplomas.
- Career Certificate 경력증명서.
Please note that anyone, who does not fulfill these qualifications or does not submit the required documents will not be considered for employment.
Submission documents can be returned if you are unfortunately declined.
Application Deadline: November 13th
To apply, please email Joo ran, our Administrative Assistant, at [email protected]
Interviews will be conducted soon after and depending on the social distancing levels will be in-person. Successful candidates will be notified of the interview dates after the committee reviews their documents. If offered the position, candidates will have to provide additional documentation to complete the hiring process. Details of those documents will be disclosed after selection. However, please keep in mind that a National Police Check from the candidate’s home country is one of those documents.
We look forward to adding four great candidates to our already wonderful faculty.