Criminal Background Check

Hi, I am In the process of extending my E2 Visa but was asked to provide a criminal background check. I am from Canada so I was wondering how do I get the background check if I'm in Korea?

Note that the processing time is currently at 12 weeks, which is the minimum, unless you get really lucky.

You should also look up your local (city) police station's policy on issuing CBCs by proxy. My husband is from Calgary and his father was able to go to a Calgary city police station with a signed letter of permission from my husband and get a CBC on his behalf. Many city cop shops don't permit this, however, so do some googling. The CBC was issued to my father-in-law on the spot and no fingerprints were required.

You should also know, if you don't already, that after the CBC is issued, you have to get someone back home to send it and a notarized photocopy of your diploma with a sealed uni transcript to the Korean Embassy in Canada that deals with your region for document verification (other countries require apostilles--Canada didn't sign the apostille treaty so we have to go through embassy verification). Visit the site for your province and check the degree verification and CBC/CRC verification links to figure out what you need to do.

The Consulate in Vancouver covers BC, AB, SK, Yukon, and NWT

The Consulate in Toronto covers ON and MB

The Embassy in Ottawa only covers Ottawa residents

The Consulate in Montreal covers QC, NB, NS, PEI and NF