Strawberry Wine Cranberry Sauce
2 1/2 C dried cranberries
1 C frozen strawberries (no need to thaw)
3/4 C red wine (I suggest a dry wine such as shiraz, merlot or cabernet)
1/2 C sugar
1. Boil some water and pour over cranberries. Let sit for 10-15 minutes. This will help rehydrate the cranberries and remove the oils added during processing.
2. Drain water from berries and add to medium saucepan along with the strawberries, wine and sugar.
3. Pour water in until just covering ingredients by a little less than 1 cm. (about 1/4 inch)
4. Bring to boil for 2-3 minutes, then drop to simmer. Stir constantly.
5. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until desired consistancy. It will thicken a bit when it cools. (use fork to break up larger strawberry chunks)
6. Remove from heat a allow to cool 15 minutes minimum before serving. Can refridgerate to speed up process.
Works well as a side dish, ice cream topping, spread on toast, or served over a block of cream cheese with crackers. Be creative. Enjoy.
courtesy ovenless chef