How to Prepare Your EPIK Application Documents
FBI Criminal Background Check (or, Criminal Record Check):
- Obtain at least two sets of original finger print cards
- Complete this order form
- Obtain a money order in the amount of $18.00, made payable to the Treasury of the United States
- Complete this review checklist and this website to make sure you didn’t miss anything
- Mail the finger print card (just one is necessary, unless you’re concerned about the quality of the finger prints), the order form, and the money order to: CJIS Division – Summary Request, 1000 Custer Hollow Road, Clarksburg, WV 26306
- Receive your CRC in the mail 6-8 weeks later. Send it out to get apostilled., ideally along with your college diploma copy, for ease/efficiency/expediency.
- Receive it again about 10 days later, this time with the apostille.
- Still have questions? Check out FBI Criminal Background Check FAQs.
- Obtain your original college diploma or, if you don’t have it yet, a letter from your university stating that you will soon.
- Make a copy of your diploma.
- Visit a public notary (at the Secretary of State or some FedEx locations) to have your diploma notarized. Then send the notarized copy to get apostilled (along with your CRC).
- OR, send your diploma to an authentication agency where it can get notarized and apostilled all at once (along with your CRC).
- Receive it back in the mail 10 days later, with it notarized and apostilled.
- Still have questions? Check out College Diploma FAQs.
- Contact the Office of the Registrar at your university and ask for 4 sealed copies to be mailed to you.
- Don’t open any of them. Ever.
- Include one sealed copy with your application materials and save the rest in case you randomly need them again later.
- Still have questions? Check out College Transcripts FAQs.
Proof of Teaching Experience Letter:
- Write the letter based on these guidelines.
- Visit a CVS or Walgreens and ask to have your photo taken.
- Purchase at least 6 pictures. I bought 10, just to be safe.
- Send/use pictures as needed (2 to your recruiter when they submit your final application following the EPIK interview, 2 for your E2 vica application, 2 when you arrive in Korea for your Alien Registration Card and school ID).
- Visit this site for any remaining FAQs regarding passport photos.
Copy of first page in your passport:
- Make sure your passport is good for at least 18 months after your potential start date in Korea
- Make a copy of your passport (black-and-white or color, it doesn’t matter)
The above is based on my experience applying to EPIK and is supplemented by information found on the Reach to Teach Recruiting website.