Guest post: getting a F-visa without getting married to a Korean

CISK note: Today’s guest post comes to you courtesy of Sharon de Hinojosa, a university professor and TEFL teacher for just under a decade. Her blog - tefltips.blogspot.com – offers plenty of tips on TEFL, and is recently renovated.

On AFEK, a conference, and hundreds of years of Korean experience

Arguably, a moth is drawn to a flame thanks to an intense point of light. To say I was drawn to the AFEK business conference like a moth to a flame is not only appropriate, but apt. Although not a F-visa holder, my presence was courtesy of Mike Yates, who heard my interest and sent on the information needed to gain entry.

It’s a different world, to say the least. At the risk of stereotyping, an E-2 might busy themselves with meeting friends, finding a place to drink, or creating and participating in the expat community. That is all accomplished while working a full-time teaching job, dealing with an ever-changing schedule, and otherwise having the deck stacked against them. Few E-2 visa holders reach a point where they’re able to break out of teaching; the picture in my mind resembles a dying city where many want to leave but few actually can.

On getting an F-2 visa, and becoming a resident

On February 1, 2010, Korean Immigration decided to change some of the rules regarding immigration into Korea. One of the rules was that most E-series visa holders (a visa tied to your job) could apply for and receive an F-series visa (a visa based more on citizenship, heritage, or residency - not simply a working visitor). According to some information from korea4expats.com and "miljeong", a credible-sounding person on ESL Cafe, the guidelines won't let the average English teacher gain the coveted upgrade - but there's hope yet.

Syndicate content

Koreabridge - RSS Feeds 
Features @koreabridge     Blogs  @koreablogs
Jobs @koreabridgejobs  Classifieds @kb_classifieds

Koreabridge - Facebook Group